…apart from a claw in the thumb, this time. I wrote 1061 words of Project Bayonet and 1076 words of Project Wishbone. I also outlined The Fox and wrote a blurb for Gutshot, as well as a press release. In the evening I managed to squeeze in a film, Ils, before crashing. Smug? Me?
One other thing I did was to think about a timeline for these novels. Too often in the past, I’ve barged into a story only to hit a point where I think, hang on, what day is this meant to be? How long has the story existed, in days or weeks? Is it summer, even? Or winter? Bayonet might be tricky, in that I want a definite swing in temperature from sweltering to sub-zero. The novel must begin in June, because of something that happened in a real-life June, nearly 70 years ago. Although, having just written that down, it’s feasible that the novel could end in June instead (see what happens… you plan a novel – this one has been expanding in my notebook since over a year ago – and at the last minute the U-turn gremlins come and kick you in the pants… I no longer know whether this is a good thing, or if I’m just incapable of making a decision).
All I need to do, really, is track the story day-by-day, and I’ve noticed that Scrivener’s labels system is handily set up with seven default tags. Change the names, apply them to your chapters and Robert’s your mother’s brother. I think if I get a day-change within a chapter, I’ll just devolve to whatever day the chapter ends upon. I could just write a subtitle to each chapter heading: Monday, Tuesday, etc. But I need to be able to see this transition on Scrivener‘s corkboard overview. It doesn’t have to be too rigid, as long as I have a rough idea of the passage of time.
Listened to: The Equatorial Stars, by Robert Fripp & Brian Eno